Wednesday, March 9, 2011

New Ottawa Route

There was big news with Ottawa Race Weekend earlier this week. New routes were unveiled for pretty much all the weekend's various events. Notably, the half marathon and marathon course were reviewed to snake through more neighborhoods. Runners will get to run through the arch in Chinatown, go down Preston street through Little Italy passing through Wesboro and snaking alongside the Ottawa river before going to Gatineau.
The new courses still have to be measured and finalized. Overall, I think the new route is a good change and will allow runners to see a bit more of the city. I can't wait to see the type of support that runners will have in Chinatown, Little Italy and Wesboro. Hopefully the stretch along the Ottawa River parkway is not too deserted. We do lose the amazing sights of running on Wellington in front of Parliament Hill, the Supreme Court and the National Archives buildings, but it is very likely that out of town runners will venture to these sights anyways even if in town just for a day or two.

3 comments:

  1. Sounds like a positive change! Wish I could make it this year.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I am excited about the new route - should be interesting to see! I agree - even though I have seen the Parliament Buildings dozens of times, I loved running past them. I have to say though, I have only done the half once before, but one of the more memorable moments for me was coming back across the bridge from Quebec - what a view!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I am running the marathon again this year. Will have to get out and run the section between the start and the Parkway as I usually do not run along there.

    ReplyDelete