Friday, April 29, 2011

Back to training

As much fun as the post PB high is, I realize that I have another race in exactly a month from today where I want to PB again so I had to go back to training. I am not quite sure how to train for a half marathon anymore. Should I just take my marathon training and cut it in half? I like the long distance tempo runs too much to do that! At the same time, summer is around the corner and my bike is a very appealing alternative to the bus system to get around so my training will not be completely focused on running this year :) Summer is also a very social season so hopefully I'll find a way to continue to squeeze my training in, for now it's been a bit of on and off where I cancel some of the planned sessions in favor of happy hours and dinner with friends...

Here is the training I have completed since the Half in Montreal:
  • Tuesday 19 - Tempo run with Ottawa Front Runners - 10km in 46:54
  • Thursday 21 - Speed training with Ottawa Front Runners - Fast laps at ~4m/km, recovery at 5m/km
  • Sunday 24 - 20km bike commute to Easter dinner - 49:38
  • Monday 25 - 20km bike commute from Easter dinner - 46:19
  • Tuesday 26 - Tuesday run with Ottawa Front Runners (wet and windy, rings a bell?) - 10km in 50m (1 fast km at 4:25)
  • Thursday 28 - Speed work was canceled when no one showed up so I went long - ~17k in ~1h25m (rainy again!)
So while I've been a bit quiet on the blogging front, I was able to continue training. I tried to return to the pool this week, however the pool was closed because of a chemical imbalance. I'll try again next week :) I also have to get back into the weight training, however with tapering for Ottawa Race Weekend coming up, I'm not sure how much of a routine I can make of that one :)

If anyone is coming down for Ottawa Race Weekend, get in touch with me, we can arrange a pre-race or post-race meetup. I will be hosting a pasta dinner on the Saturday night for anyone interested, non-runners also welcomed! Leave a comment with your email or DM me on Twitter.

2 comments:

  1. Nice job on the training front! A few weeks to go.

    ReplyDelete
  2. When you train hard your muscles need proper recovery. Just taking some rest may not be enough. According to nutrition scientists BCAA is one of the key nutritional compounds to help your muscles recover properly. I tried this product myself. Purchased it at amazon http://www.amazon.com/enhanced-L-Glutamine-capsules-Military-Tested/dp/B008JHQ1JK/ref=sr_1_2?ie=UTF8&qid=1394122798&sr=8-2&keywords=military+grade Impressive results! Easier recoveries and more strength for further trainings!

    ReplyDelete