Thursday, October 15, 2009

The other side of Pudong

I wanted to go for a short run today. My plan to do only 5km was thwarted by the fact that this place is so interesting, I could have kept going all day! I purposely went to see another part of Pudong that doesn't attract so many tourists. I think I only saw locals throughout my run and the English signs were few and far between.

While I was stretching in the street before I started, I saw this sign informing me that the air pollution index was 51, I'm not sure if that is good or bad.
The air seems pretty clear to me so I started out anyways. I saw this cute little park after I crossed the river (water is everywhere in Pudong!)
I also noticed that downtown Pudong didn't have a monopoly on SkyScrapers.
Some ?lucky? residents have a river view :)
High-rise accommodations are also available.
I don't know why but whenever I'm travelling I love to spend time in these small alleys and look at the "stores".
Then I found this really neat park with a lake in the middle. Parks are central to Chinese life. I guess that when so many people are living close together, not everyone has the opportunity to have their own personal greenspaces, so parks act as a substitute. I won't get in the philosophy of which option is best but let me show you a few of the intersting park uses I noticed today.

Concert on the pagoda
Dancing in the park
Check out this guy's giant fishing rod!
Chilling out in the shade
And of course some people like the EndorphinBuzzer like to run :)
Not pictured is also the general walking and playing with kids. There was also a choir rehearsal going on and some kind of street party with music and food (I didn't want to intrude so I didn't take pictures).

The park features the beautiful lake
As well as some neat Bonzai trees
Once I got back on the road, I saw that downtown Pudong is not the only place under construction. Check out this new residential complex being built all at once as opposed to the one tower every few years technique we use back home.
I then proceed to visit one of these residential complex.
The first thing I noticed is the generous amount of shared space that residents can enjoy outside. I am really curious to see how the average Chinese lives and I would like to visit inside one of these but am not quite sure how that could be arranged.

I didn't realize the guard's alarmed stares until I came out of the complex where he asked me what in the world would a white guy be doing in such a place. Needless to say we didn't communicate except for my humble bowing and pointing at my eyes meaning look around. He indulged me in a smile and shooed me away :)

I ended my run at this church that is undergoing renovations (or construction?) near our hotel.
All in all, I did about 7km in a little under 45 minutes. I wasn't gunning for time anyways and am glad I took the time to take in the sights and smells. Chinese streets smell of a mix of frying, fruits, spices and paint thinner or other industrial solvents I guess are used in the construction that is going on everywhere.

3 comments:

  1. Looks and sounds like a pretty interesting city! Don't go getting yourself into trouble. ;)

    ReplyDelete
  2. I don't know anything about China but I know in Japan that space is quite limited indoors and so it would make total sense to have lots of parks and shared outside space.

    Enjoying those great pictures!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. whoa... i leave blogland for a few days, and now you're on the other side of the world! Great pictures, looks like you've scoped out some very scenic places to run! Kudos to you as well for making the time for yourself to run! :) Enjoy!!

    ReplyDelete