Saturday, February 13, 2010

RIP Nodar

Dear Nodar,

You don't know me and I don't really know you either. I wouldn't be able to point out your hometown on the map and probably wouldn't even be able to pronounce your full name: Nodar Kumaritashvili. However there is something I know about you. You were a very courageous man and had an unwavering dedication to sports excellence. You set an example and inspired countless young people that will dedicate their lives to sports and in turn inspire others.

I was shocked, with the rest of the world, to learn about the tragic accident that happened at the track. The world lost a bright young athlete and I join your family, friends and the world in mourning your departure. I dedicate this morning's gruelling 32km run to you. Athletes like you inspire me to always push myself further to reach and exceed my objectives. It's sad that you were never able to really reach your full potential.

One thing that I know for sure is that long after the controversy surrounding your early and brutal departure has quieted down, our memories of your dedication and the inspiration you have given us will live on in our hearts forever. Rest in peace Nodar.

6 comments:

  1. Nodar Kumaritashvili’s death is a tragedy! Luge looks like such a neat sport, but also very dangerous at the same time. His death will cast a pall over these Olympic Games. RIP

    ReplyDelete
  2. This was so shocking and tragic. I share your sentiments.

    ReplyDelete
  3. So tragic. I hated they kept playing the tape over and over on the news.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Well, even though I'm not watching the Olympics I did hear about his death. Sad, indeed.

    ReplyDelete