Friday, February 12, 2010

"Short" 23km?

You know you are deep into marathon training when the "short" runs on your training plan balloons all the way to 23km (14 miles). That's roughly the distance to run home so that's what I decided to do yesterday. I wouldn't have been able to put in 2 hours of running into my schedule if I had to bus home first (~1h). The fact that we were having another pot luck at work was just bonus for last minute carbo loading!

This was supposed to be run at race pace but after a very busy and tiresome week, I didn't think I had it in me and set out for a slightly easier pace. I had great music in the mix. California Sunshine to remind me of my goal race in LA, Anik Jean to set a good rocky beat and Nine Inch Nails to bring out my testosterone and lead me to a spectacular finish, hugging a 5m/km pace for the last half hour.
In a total of 2h08m, it's not bad, especially after 2 back to back 10k runs, both under 49 minutes on Tuesday and Wednesday. In the last 3 days I have run the marathon distance. And I still have to do 32km this weekend, phew!

Today at lunch I did a different kind of cross training and headed out to the Rideau canal for a quick skate.

I have to admit I'm really looking forward to warmer weather. While the extra amount of daytime light is good, I can't wait until I can just head out instead of taking 15 minutes to dress up after worrying about how many layers I need and how to keep my water from freezing. My clothes washer will be happy too, I seem to fill it up with just 1 run's worth of sweaty layers.

3 comments:

  1. Great job on the run! Funny how our perception of "long" and "short" changes in marathon training, isn't it? I'm heading out for 25K today and that still feels long to me at this point. :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love it when long runs start to feel short during marathon training! You're in the zone!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Yes, I miss my "short" runs of 13-14 miles!!!

    But I can somewhat relate to having to wear so many layers just to go outside. I know our weather is not nearly as cold as where you are but I think I may be wearing close to the same amt of layers as you. No problems with water freezing, though!

    ReplyDelete