Sunday, January 31, 2010

Longest one yet!

After chickening out yesterday due to the super cold weather, I realised that I had traded extreme cold for a bit of snow this morning. Still, to get a balmy -12 celsius, I can live with the snow. I still bundled up in order to be comfortable for the ~3 hours that I would be on the road.
This morning's run was my longest yet in this training cycle - 35km. The whole time I thought that this was the longest my training plan required (I knew I had to do it again in 2 weeks) but I checked just before writing this entry and I actually have to do a 38 km in 4 weeks - ouch!

I decided to go a bit everywhere and avoid looping. The roads I picked were fairly quiet and for the most part clean and with ample shoulders. I even saw a deer on Timm road. There were lots of runners on Corkstown road and it gave me some energy to know that was not the only cooky one out there. I hadn't run to North Kanata since the summer. Coming back I did a bit of a detour to add more kms but it still wasn't enough so I ran around my neighbourhood for the last 1.5km.
I was pretty impressed with how well it went. While it was long and a bit painful at the end, I was very impressed to see that only 2 kms (around the time I tried to take a picture of the deer, which didn't turn out well at all!) were above 6 minutes.

One thing that really surprised me is how hilly Kanata is. I never really noticed before on shorter runs, but let me tell you that on a longer run, the hills do make a difference. Here is the profile for today's route:
I look forward to a long run of *only* 32km next weekend :)

In the mix today was another assortment of various genres. Les Cowboy Fringants, Michael Buble, Tangerine Dream, Return to the Source and Matsuri.

5 comments:

  1. Great job on the run! Must have been cold! I always have trouble mapping out super long runs without looping around.

    ReplyDelete
  2. That's a serious long run!! Way to go on the 35! You're running quite the program, going all the way to 38!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Yay! I also like to avoid doing repetitive loops on long runs. I used to not mind so much but lately it is just mentally draining. I am super impressed you ran so far in such cold weather, too! Also a little jealous -- I miss running in snow!

    ReplyDelete
  4. OMG, you Canadians are TOUGH! I like seeing snow but running in it? NO WAY!!! Great job getting that long run done outdoors. I can't even imagine running with so many layers of clothes on...

    ReplyDelete